Monday, June 20, 2011

The Ripple Effect

Imagine my surprise when I learned that my running had been inspiration for another. Me! A Joe Runner. Just a run-of-the-mill beginner.

A friend/neighbour of mine was impressed with my last run of just over 17 kilometers. As a PE teacher for a local school, she spontaneously organized a sleep over that ended with a run to school the next morning. She said it was completely inspired by me and she challenged her run club to complete the 20 kilometer distance.

Surely there had been some mistake. I am not an inspiring runner (or so I thought). She assured me there was no mistake. My determination and perseverance had inspired her to push herself and encourage her students to do the same. (They all did great, by the way)

What an amazing feeling. I had inspired others in the world of running. I suppose I had never questioned where my inspirations for running came from (and there have been many). I have found motivation and inspiration from many sources, many people of many sizes, abilities and backgrounds, and at many different times. So, who am I to question myself as an inspiration to others?

I am proud of what I have accomplished thus far and I am proud that my journey can help encourage others to stretch their comfort zone, inspire a challenge, or spark an interest.

" Welcome to the Ripple Effect. What you say, what you don't say; what you do, what you don't do; causes a Ripple Effect. The question is, ' How big of a Ripple will you make?' and 'What kind of a Ripple Effect will you make' "

Sometimes, more often than not, we have no idea how far our Ripples will reach. I love the thought of that. I imagine they go on and on and on...

No comments:

Post a Comment