Friday, June 24, 2011

Attention Vicarious Runners

I'm counting down the hours to the run this Sunday morning. I'd like to say the path has been as straight and narrow as the tracks in this photograph, but there's a side to my running journey that I really should discuss. In doing so, I'm also calling out all of you who are running vicariously this Sunday.

Twenty years ago, I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. At the time, the advice was to "take care of your feet!". Believe it or not, that advice also included "no long distance running" -- or face the wrath of my future podiatrist.

Can you believe how far we've come in twenty years? I'm now the proud owner of an insulin pump, and am competing in my first half marathon.

I know I'm not the only runner who manages a chronic condition. Out on the course this Sunday, will be other diabetics, runners with pace makers, folks with joint and back problems, cancer survivors and organ recipients.

And guess what? We're all part of the Scotia Team. If you're lucky enough to be in perfect health and are thinking "Man, I wish I could run a half marathon" then what's stopping you?

If you have a medical condition (and your doctor's blessing!!!) then come out and join all of us who are running in spite of ourselves. If not this Sunday for the event, then tomorrow, on your own, or with a buddy. For your own sake.

See you at the start line... or catch me at the finish line. Either way, I'm hoping to share the road with you soon. To all you vicarious runners out there, what's stopping you? Lace up your Asics, and hit the road running.

No comments:

Post a Comment