Thursday, June 9, 2011

Farmer Joe Vs. Joe Runner




Last week I met with our trainer, Mike, for a rapid-fire coaching session. I learned a lot, and was inspired to take my run further. I came out ready to leap completely into the world of outdoor running.

I'm blessed to live near beaches, farmland, and hills - and on Sunday I decided to go the hillbilly route and enjoy a run through the farms.

Sometimes I wonder if I was dropped on my head as a child.

Sunday was a beautiful sunshiney day. And what do you think a farmer might do on a beautiful sunshiney day in early June? Does he hide inside his big farm house, or tend to the cows and chickens? Does he re-thread his fiddle or re-shoe the horses?

Noooo, the farmer is on his tractor, spreading potent manure all over his fields. And I, like the town nitwit, am running next to his farm. I don't think it was the worst possible circumstances for a run. I wasn't escaping mosquitoes or dodging traffic. There was no rain, sleet, or snow to contend with. I wasn't being chased by a renegade Rottweiler.

But still. It stunk. And that stinks.

I managed to log 16km on Sunday. Not quite the 18 or 20 I was hoping for, but not bad considering Farmer Joe was out flexing his manure muscles.

Here's to another farm-fresh run... and a few more miles on my training log.

No comments:

Post a Comment