Saturday, June 4, 2011

My solo mission, which I chose to accept

When I first started running a few years ago, I found that I desperately needed the camaraderie of a running group or buddy. Running on my own was a well-intended option that rarely worked out.

While I could find any excuse in the book to skip my solo run, I would not let my buddy down by cancelling our weekly date. Nor would I often miss a group run - since I paid for the clinic, I wanted to get my money’s worth! Besides, the social aspect was a real bonus. I met many new friends during this period, and strengthened some existing friendships as we tackled our runs together. The problem was: it became a chore… just another thing I “HAD” to do. I started to dread each and every run so, last year, I decided to take a break. I did not run for nine months.

Then last winter someone mentioned the Scotiabank Half Marathon and, for once, I did not cringe. In fact, I felt strangely compelled to make the commitment. I registered almost immediately but decided to take a different approach with the training… this time, I’m doing it on my own.

I researched some training plans and put together one that would work me, usually 3-4 runs each week. With the exception of perhaps 6-8 runs over the past 5 months, they have all been solo missions. And with the aid of some super-motivating playlists on my iPod, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed most of them – even the tough ones, ESPECIALLY the tough ones! I feel so damn proud of myself when I conquer a tough run, in the rain, when I really, really didn’t want to do it. Go Team Me!

No one else cares if I run or if I bail… it doesn’t affect anyone other than me. If I let myself down, I feel like crap… and I don’t want to feel like crap. So I honour my commitment to myself and I run. And I like it… whether I want to or not :)

No comments:

Post a Comment