Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sunny Saturday Run


This morning I completed a 13km run. This is a little shorter then I would like to be running at this point in my training but I am gradually getting back into my long runs. I chose a challenging route with a lot of hills, from Kits to UBC and back. I previously disliked the big hill going up 8th Avenue by West Point Grey School but it is slowly growing on me. The reason being is that it is getting easier every time I go up, I see myself improving and it makes every other incline manageable. It is not only the hard work that makes me fitter; it makes me happier when I can accomplish something much easier than I was able to before.

I find that a lot of new runners find running quite challenging for various reasons. The way I look at it is that running is like any new thing you decide to do, you aren’t going to be good at it right away, it takes time and training. A quote from Mind Gym that I always reference back too is that you have to get “comfortable with the uncomfortable”. For me, this quote aligns perfectly with my long runs. When I increase my mileage for a long run, it usually doesn’t feel the greatest. When my body adapts and my training is on track that is when I feel “comfortable” in what I am doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment