Monday, May 28, 2012

Cross-training

This past weekend, my husband and I drove up to his home town of Enderby, BC in the beautiful Okanagan. I was supposed to do my longer weekend run but there was no time for that on Saturday but I made up for it on Sunday. It is our yearly tradition of driving up for the Okanagan Shuswap Century Ride. I still have yet to conquer the full 100 km course. Two years ago, I made it to about 70+km and stopped because my riding partner hurt her back and we both got picked up and driven to the finish. This year, I completed about 60km of the ride before I had to return to my "mom duties" and take care of Natallie. But 60 km is still a reeeeaallly long bike ride, I think I biked for about 3 and half hours! The good part is that my legs are so much stronger from all my running so my legs weren't tired by the end of my ride but biking definately uses different muscles and I wasn't quite used to leaning over and sitting on my bike for that long. What a great work-out! That's the great thing about cross-training, it really helps pin-point other muscle groups that haven't really been emphasized with running. Hopefully I can get in more bike rides or spin classes as part of my training. What are you favourite cross- training activities?

At the first rest stop (around 30+km) .
Congrats to my husband and my mother-in-law for completing the
full 100km Century Ride in 5 hrs ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment