Friday, April 20, 2012

Running Blues

Every runner faces a variety of obstacles throughout their training and racing. I was faced with a large obstacle this week – injury. I was having a sharp pain in my shin, which I thought it was shin splints. I have had shin splints before so I wasn’t too concerned. However as the week progressed and especially after my 12km run, the pain was more severe and localized in one area on my Tibia. I went to the hospital yesterday and the doctor suggested it was a stress fracture. I went for an x-ray and it didn’t show any breaks (thank goodness) but I am going for a bone scan next week to fully determine if it is the bone or muscular. Fingers crossed for the later.
            For the time being, the doctor recommended that I don’t run or do any physical activity that involves heavy impact on my lower leg. For my training this week I am going to be swimming and doing some light biking.  I am hoping to get back to running as soon as possible!

Do you have any suggestions for exercises that are low impact? 

No comments:

Post a Comment