Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Running Community


The first run with my new Asics! Love them :)

I must start off by asking you to please ignore any poor grammar, or rambling, in this blog as I've just finished my second day shift and my brain is a bit fried. :) 

My last run was this past Monday night with the Lady Sport 10 km training group. Unfortunately, work has prevented me from going regularly, so it's great when I can join them.  It makes me feel like  I'm a part of a running community and it is so much more fun than running alone!  This week was especially motivating because a couple of the group leaders got up and spoke to us about their marathon running accomplishments in New York, D.C. and San Francisco.  Very inspiring! The more I try to increase my running distances the more I appreciate what a huge feat marathon running is.

After going to the Kings of Leon concert Sunday night, and then for a massage the next morning, all I really wanted to do on Monday night was relax on a patio with a cold beer in hand. :) However, I forced myself out the door and ended up being super happy that I did. The gorgeous weather and getting to run with some new people made the effort worthwhile. I'm still having some aches in my lower leg and hip but I'm working on my physio exercises as much as I can and trying to space out my runs to give my body time to rest. Some days I get pretty frustrated that my body isn't co-operating with my goals but I will keep working at it.

Monday evening running route along the Kits Beach sea wall.

Last night I was supposed to go to my first half marathon training session at Forerunners, but, I had to miss it because of work (again!).  I'm looking forward to going to the clinic next week though, hopefully meeting some new people to run with, and learning more about how to train for a long run.

Now I must get some sleep...... I've heard it is really important to being a successful runner :).

No comments:

Post a Comment