Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Mentor, The Mentee and The Ripple Effect

Stunning Kits Beach
This past weekend I was able to take advantage of the beautiful weather and go for a scenic run around Kitsilano Beach with my mentor and good friend, Jessica Manca. I first met Jessica through the Women in Leadership Mentorship Program last year when we were matched as mentor and mentee.  We were a match made in heaven; Jessica a smart, funny, authentic, successful Coach and Author and me a fairly smart, sometimes funny, always authentic, dreamer in need of guidance and coaching.

It was really rewarding being able to run with Jessica. When we first met, Jessica told me she was not a runner and doubted she could even run around her block. However, as our friendship grew she would speak about running 750 meters straight, then 1 km straight, then 2 km straight. This past weekend Jessica beat one of her PB and ran 3kms straight!! Jessica has told me that I inspired her to start running. How awesome is that?! 
PB Achieved!

Continuing to run and committing to my goals is not only showing myself that I can do it, but also inadvertently showing my friends and family they can too! My 60 year old dad is training for his first 10km race with a goal of under 60 minutes, my cousin  signed up for her first half marathon and a neighbour in my complex told me that watching me live a healthier lifestyle encouraged him to lose 60lbs.  It excites and humbles me that people are encouraged to believe in themselves and know that if an average “Joe Runner” like me can do it, they sure can too! 

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment