Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gratitude.

As Easter weekend passes and spring is blossoming in the air, I am feeling grateful. For the past 3 weeks, I have been struggling with a hip injury and have had to learn to slow down in order for my body to heal. This has been frustrating, yet rewarding as the injury has given me the opportunity to reflect on how grateful I am for having a healthy, strong body. Having been raised to view all life experiences as learning opportunities; I believe this injury is teaching me to take better care of myself, mentally and physically, while being grateful for things I usually take for granted – like a healthy body, a healthy mind and the freedom to choose my future.     

In being more aware of all I have to be grateful for; I am reminded of why I am running the Scotiabank Half Marathon. I chose to run in support of Servants Anonymous Society. This is a small grass roots organization whose mission is to provide safe, secure homes, full time education, long term support, hope and wholeness to women and youth survivors of human trafficking and sexual exploitation. Since 2001, SAS has helped over 400 young women escape human trafficking and sexual exploitation in Metro Vancouver.   

This past week I was able to go to SAS and meet some of these women who are running their first 5km race at the Scotiabank Half Marathon. We are planning to meet every second week until the race to chat about our progress and go on training runs. I look forward to running with these women who have overcome so much and are fighting each day to live their lives on their accord. I will keep you posted in future posts on how our training goes.

If you are interested in donating to SAS and helping with their cause, please feel free to click the link below and assist me in raising valuable funds and awareness to combat this heinous crime against humanity. https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?SID=4135474&LangPref=en-CA

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment