Friday, June 27, 2014

I Did It!

Very happy to see my boyfriend cheering me on at 12 km
At this time last week I wasn't so sure that I would be writing my post half marathon blog. Fortunately though I managed to almost fully  recover from my cold in time for the big run on Sunday.  I woke up that day feeling excited but nervous. Actually, I'm pretty sure I was shaking.

Weather wise it was a gorgeous day for a run and the course starting at U.B.C., and ending up at Stanley Park, was beautiful. I highly recommend this half marathon to anyone who is thinking of doing one.

The first 5 km or so were in the sun and I was hot and not quite feeling like my energy levels were back to normal after my cold.  However, once we got in to the shade a bit, and a few clouds rolled in, I started to feel okay. 

The physio exercises and IMS I have been doing must have really helped because my hip was not a problem at all.  Unfortunately though a little twist of my ankle, while walking a few weeks ago, came back to haunt me and my ankle was quite sore throughout the run.  I had to stop a few times to stretch so it wouldn't completely tighten up.

From 12 to 16 km I felt alright.  When I started tiring around 16.5 km I decided to tell myself that I had just started running and that I was heading out for a short 5 km jog. Anything to get me to the finish line!  The volunteers and supporters cheering on the streets of Kitsilano were a huge boost to my spirits at that time.  So to all of you who came out to cheer your friends, family members, and complete strangers, a big "thank you."

The tough part of the run came around 17 km, when I incorrectly thought that we were running straight down Cornwall and on to the Burrard Bridge.  When I realized the course took us winding through the Kits Point neighbourhood instead, and I wasn't as close to the finish as I thought I was, it was a bit of a mental blow.  I also started to feel kind of cold and "out of body like." I think my week of being sick was catching up with me and I may have overdosed on Gu and Gel Blasts. :)  But..... I pushed on, ran up and over the Burrard Bridge, and made my way to the finish line with the help of the  Beastie Boys, "Sabotage" blasting in my ears.:)  Crossing the finish line was amazing and having friends and family there made it that much better.  My time was 2:19 and I'm happy with that for a first time effort.

2014 Fragile X Team
I wanted to say congratulations to everyone on the Fragile X Team for running and for such an amazing fundraising effort.  I am so happy that we surpassed our fundraising goal of $20,000!!  Thanks again to everyone who supported me and donated to the Fragile X Research Foundation.

This experience of training for, and running, the Scotiabank half marathon has been a big challenge but I feel mentally and physically great for having done it. After five days of rest and some much needed yoga (stairs were a problem for a few days) I find myself wanting to get out there and run again. Maybe just a short one though.   I do need to keep my training going so that I'm ready for my second half marathon in the fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment