Thursday, May 15, 2014

Hot or Cold, Rain or Shine


The weather is one of those variables runners can't control. Training schedules can't always be put on hold for a blue sky day. I obviously love running on sunny days. However, one thing I have discovered lately with our changeable Spring weather is that my body seems to prefer running on cooler, and dare I say it, even rainy days.

A rainy Sunday run
Selfie attempt
While many Vancouver runners were out doing the half or full marathon a couple of Sundays ago, I was lying in bed trying to convince myself to get out and run in that pouring rain. After walking a lap around my bed I convinced myself that my "long run" couldn't wait for another day.  I made it out the door and was drenched within minutes but I ended up having one of my best 10 km runs to date.

The runs that I did on sunny evenings last week were quite the opposite of my successful rainy run.  Both runs were only about 5-6 km but they felt a lot longer and left me feeling drained.  I'm pretty sure the warm temperatures, in addition to seasonal allergies and the time of day that I ran, were all factors in those less than fantastic runs. 

t
Monday night running route

On my "long run" day this week it was sunny so I intentionally headed out early in the morning to try and avoid having to run in the heat. I also recently bought a hydration belt, which I was so thankful for that day!! Having water and Gatorade on hand definitely helped me reach my goal of 15 km!!  I never thought I would be one of those people sporting a water belt. :)

By trial and error I'm learning what works for me so that I can run successfully in all kinds of weather.   I think that if I continue to train in different conditions I'll be well prepared to run the half marathon and the weather, be it rain or shine, will hopefully not be a factor in my performance.

That being said.....for race day I'm visualizing slightly cloudy skies with the sun breaking through just as I'm on the homeward stretch to the finish line. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment