Sunday, March 25, 2012

Harry’s Spring Run-Off 8km – Race Recap



I couldn’t have asked for better conditions for the Harry’s Spring Run-Off race today – absolutely amazing. Clear blue skies, sun shining and barely any wind, hello spring!


I took the bus to the race and it was a great atmosphere from moment I stepped onto the bus because everyone was wearing the Harry’s lime green and blue t-shirts that were part of the race package.  I arrived early, about 45 minutes before start time to get my bearings and check out the booths. I put my headphones in and toured around the start and finish line areas. Everything was so organized and all of the volunteers were so friendly and accommodating. There were food and beverage booths, a massage tent and a live band. I tried some of the Oasis strawberry-banana smoothie samples – delicious, just the spark of sweetness that I needed!

I did a short jog to warm up and made my way to the start line. At the start line there were corrals where you lined up based on where you expected your time to be. I started in the green corral for people hoping for a time in between 40:00-43:00 minutes. I was hoping for around 40:30.
The race started and it was a slight downhill until we got onto the seawall. I was expecting it to be pretty squished at the beginning because the path was fairly small but it wasn’t that bad at all. The first three kilometers were quite relaxed and the sun was at our backs as we looped under the Lion’s Gate Bridge. This is when I realized I was over dressed. I wore a long sleeve shirt and t-shirt over top, just one shirt would have been sufficient because I was quite sweaty already. We were then in the shade around kilometers 4-6, I was trying to keep pace with some people around me, and keep steady until we hit the last two kilometers because I was on pace to potentially do a sub 40 minutes.
By kilometer 7, around Lost Lagoon, we had hit some slight hills that had pushed me back a bit in my splits and even though the pedestrian footbridge was small, it was a little difficult at the end of the race. After that, it was onto the home stretch! I dug in deep for the last few meters. I could see the seconds tick by on the clock - they always seem to click by faster when you are running and hoping for a good time. I crossed the finished line and looked down at my watch – 40:00 right on the dot. I was pleased with my time but I wish I had given it a little bit extra just to see a 39.

All runners were given a hat and a power bar for finishing – I thought this was a great idea and a practical token that I will use in my up coming training. I hope you all achieved your goals today; I am definitely on a post run high and can’t wait to continue my training for the half!

What has been the coolest thing you have received from a race?




3 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the run today in such a great time! Will you be doing the Sun Run or any other events leading up to the Scotia half-marathon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Congrats on your race as well. I haven't registered for any other races leading up to the Scotia half-marathon but I would be interested in some other ones. I see you are doing the Sun Run, any others?

      Delete
  2. Awesome time Joce!!! I personally haven't ran a lot of races but really liked the running socks I received at one event. However, the coolest gift that i received from a running event was actually re-gifted to me. It was a bottle of 50+ multivitamins that my daughter received from a race and thoughtfully gave to me for my 50th birthday. It was a good laugh and I put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete