Saturday, May 21, 2011

A wife. A new Mom. A great cook. And now a RUNNER.

And so begins my journey as a runner. And a blogger. Until recently, I had never done either. I am excited to share these new adventures with those that choose to follow along!

I applied to be a "Joe Runner" because I am incredibly new to the sport of running. I have never been a runner. I am a new Mommy to a beautiful 7 1/2 month old baby girl. I was married just over a year ago to an amazing man. I enjoy a nice, quiet family life. When asked to describe myself, words like runner, athlete or sports enthusiast don't come to mind. I am by no means a natural runner. It is a challenge for me every time I get out there.

A few months back I joined an InTraining running clinic for the 2011 Vancouver Sun Run. I joined to get in shape, kick start a healthy lifestyle, and prove to myself that I could do it. I have always wanted to be a runner. I have admired, for years, those that tie up their laces and hit the road (or trail, track, beach or path...). Every time a runner passed me by I would picture myself out there. I would let my mind drift. I could see myself running races. I could feel the sense of accomplishment when crossing a finish line. It all felt very real. It felt attainable. I went home after my first training run with the fear I would never experience those feelings for real. I remember saying to my husband there was no way I could ever picture myself running a 10k distance. Ever.

Well, I did. On April 17th of this year, I crossed the finish line of the Sun Run. My personal goal was not to hit a certain time, it was simply to run the entire race. And I did. Start to finish. It was one of the BEST feelings of my entire life. One of my group leaders had mentioned the Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon to me and said he thought it was a great one to start with if I wanted to continue running. I signed up and have been training on my own since completing the Sun Run.

Running is still difficult for me. I struggle daily with motivation, as I have been on my own for this one, without a group to hold me accountable. Nevertheless, I have been getting out there and following my program no matter what excuses I may be tempted to use. Once I get going, I enjoy being out there. I look forward to that feeling. I find that looking forward is the key. I look forward to my next finish line and that keeps me going. I look to my future and take pride in a new love for fitness and a healthy lifestyle. A lifestyle that I can be proud to share with my daughter as she grows up.

As part of this journey, I am helping to fundraise for a cause close to my heart: Special Olympics British Columbia.

I am incredibly grateful to Asics/Forerunners and the Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon for allowing me this amazing opportunity.

Once again, I'm looking forward... I look forward to more blogging, and more running. Because I AM A RUNNER :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment