Friday, May 20, 2011

Welcome to the first installment of my Joe Runner blog. This is, in fact, my first experience with blogging so I hope I'll be able to share some interesting observations about my half marathon journey with you.

I believe I was selected as a Joe Runner because while running does not come naturally or easy for me, I stick with it and look for reasons to continue when I want to stop. I suspect I'm not alone in these sentiments. Seven years ago I was an avid smoker and wouldn't run to catch a bus. In 2005 I quit smoking, bought a good pair of running shoes, and registered for my first race (the Sun Run), which occurred 8 days later on my 31st birthday. Since then I've completed about a dozen 5-10km races, a try-a-tri, and one half marathon, currently training for my second Half.

I once heard a phrase: "There are things you love doing, and things you love having done." Until recently, running across a finish line was something I loved "having done" but I didn't particularly enjoy the kilometers leading up to it. In recent months, I've surprised myself to notice that I actually smile during my training runs! It may have taken me awhile to get here, but I think I'm finally acquiring a taste for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment