Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Hills are Alive... and They're Out to Get Me!



I've been hill training this week, trying to convert my treadmill-spoiled body into one that's ready for the great outdoors. Yes, I know the half marathon course is rated as a "downhill" experience. But I have to get this body ready to contend with wind, rain, and a few bumps in the road.

I'll admit it, the hills I'm running along aren't as steep as the one in the picture. But I do live in a rather hilly town, and I've taken on more than my share of inclines this week.

My big goal is to tackle "the 56 street hill". It connects the low lying levels of town with the high bluff area. It's a steep incline that climbs mercilessly over about one mile.

The top of the hill is a pretty little intersection. If I keep running, I end up in Point Roberts - the quaint US peninsula where I can try and huff and puff my way past US Customs and into another country. (Hmmm... must see if there's room in my pocket for a passport.) If I hang a right I end up in beautiful Diefenbaker Park, where there's a small forested area to practice my trail running.

In all likelihood, however, I'm spent and will be wanting nothing more than to run back DOWN the hill and hide from my running shoes. If I opt to retreat, I'll have the option of lying down in the local cemetery to catch my breath. Very convenient.

If the run is particularly terrible, there may even be a grave I can roll myself into if I feel I can no longer continue my training. It would certainly be a good place to hide from my active 3 year old, should I really feel the need for a long nap.

Speaking of my 3 year old, he's a good motivator for those days when I don't feel like lacing up and hitting the road. The alternative, you see, is to chase HIM around. I often wonder which is one burns more calories...


No comments:

Post a Comment