Monday, May 23, 2011

Emotional Journey

The same day I received the exciting news that I had been selected as a "Joe Runner", I was devastated to learn that my canine companion of over 14 years had terminal cancer. Two short weeks later, I have already had to say good-bye to my wonderful furry friend, and have quickly realized that this blog will have to account for more than the mileage on my running shoes.

Training for a half marathon can be an emotional journey at the best of times. Training for THIS half marathon is becoming a lifeline I did not expect when I committed to the challenge back in January.

In the midst of planning a wedding for September, I am now also mourning my sweet puppy dog. Lacing up my running shoes and hitting the road is providing me the time and space I need to make sense of the frenzy of emotions within my head.

Yesterday, I ran the distance... a leisurely 21km in two and a half hours. I did not pay any attention to my pace or speed, I simply tried to stay in the moment. When my thoughts wandered to how much my feet hurt, I focused on leading with my hips, keeping my shoulders relaxed, and looking forward rather than down. When my thoughts became overwhelmed with grief, I allowed my tears to flow but focused on my breathing and staying present. Eventually, a wave of healthy nostalgia allowed me to recognize a sense of peace within and smile at those I passed along the sea wall... especially those with doggies :)

My pup Baxter came into my life at a time when I didn't even own a pair of running shoes. He showered me with unconditional love every moment of his life and supported my journey towards wellness through his unequivocal zest for life. Now he leaves me with the equally unconditional love of my human life partner, and soon-to-be husband, and inspires me to share his passion for life and everything it may bring.

I'm choosing to see every run as an opportunity for reflection. Those 40, 60, or 150 minutes are mine alone to enjoy and, when extenuating life circumstances may threaten to derail my training, I hope to embrace the challenge. This journey can only lead towards peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment