Monday, March 24, 2014

You Are Doing This

It couldn't have been a more gorgeous day for the Modo 8 km Spring Run-Off around the Stanley Park seawall.  Unfortunately, my sister was sick and wasn't able to run with me as planned but I was super grateful to have my nephews and brother- in- law there to cheer me on.

Despite a week of icing my shin, and a trip to the physiotherapist, I actually felt quite strong throughout the run and only started to feel a bit of an ache in my calf after about 5 km.  My goal was to complete the race without having to walk, which I was pretty much able to do. I did stop long enough to snap a couple of pictures though. :)

Around 2.5 km

Somewhere around 5 km
At the 7 km mark I slowed for a much needed drink, which I was so grateful for as I started up those  hills to the finish line.  They were small hills but at that point I felt like I was running up the Grouse Grind. :) During the last 800 meters I couldn't have been more appreciative of the cheers and high fives from the volunteers.

My time was 49:41 and my average pace was between 06:00-06:30 min/km. I'm gradually getting faster so I'm happy with my time.  After the run, when I was telling a friend about my finishing time,  he said, "the most important thing was that you had fun." I can honestly say that I did have a good time. I'm sure the weather, the great course, the volunteers, and Songza's "performance-enhancing pop" play list all had something to do with that. :)  For me to be able to say I'm enjoying running is huge coming from someone who in junior high school hid in a locker room to avoid doing a cross country run.:)

During the run yesterday when self doubt tried to creep in I told myself "you can do this." Then somewhere around 6 km my mantra changed to "you are doing this." That thought got me through the final 2 km and will hopefully be what's running through my head as I cross the finish line at 21.1 km.

Finished!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment